Thursday, March 18, 2010

You Don't Know the Cost of my Praise...

Valleys lined with biting tongues and backstabbers. Not a trusting soul to be found… with only a glimpse of the mountain top that my soul longs for.

Those mountain tops. They are unlike anything I have ever seen. The grass that smells like freedom and my favorite flowers grown just for me.

You. You are always there waiting for me with a picnic basket full of soul food that would make you want to slap your mama. (That’s our little joke)

That’s when it happens. You grab my hand and sit me down next to you. You reach out and brush my hair and tell me things that I could never tell another soul. We slow dance to the sound of the crickets and the wind and for one moment I know that life is good again….

Then you look at me with eyes that show a hint of sadness but for some reason I trust them…and you tell me that we have to leave…

I don’t mind. I would go anywhere with you…and at that very moment I realize that you’re walking toward the valley. I stop in my tracks with eyes similar to a deer caught in headlights. I know why that look in your eyes is so familiar now. We’ve been here before. Too many times before.

Valleys lined with biting tongues and backstabbers. Not a trusting soul to be found…except for You. Please don’t let go of my hand. I know I would die without you. He gave me one last kiss that told me he would never forsake me.

We made our way down into the valley…but not without one last glimpse at the mountain top. Now I know why they say one day in your presence is better than ten thousand elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment